Pro Hac Vice

A listener wants to know about pro hac vice.  I’m Amy E. Feldman.

Lawyers have to take and pass the bar exam in the state in which they want to practice law.  If they’re not admitted to the bar in a certain state, they can’t act as someone’s lawyer there, unless they’re admitted pro hac vice.  That’s Latin for “this time only”—it’s a motion the lawyer files to be granted  a one-time special permission to participate in a particular case in a state in which he’s not admitted.

Listener Sandra B. has an unemployment appeals hearing in New Jersey, but her lawyer isn’t admitted to practice there.  He’s applied to be admitted pro hac vice to represent her, but the court won’t grant the motion for some reason.  Sandra, it is so frustrating, and you can try to file another motion to get him admitted.  Or you can ask him for a recommendation for a New Jersey lawyer specializing in your type of case, or just go to the New Jersey Bar Association website to find a new New Jersey lawyer who is ready to take your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Share This

Copy Link to Clipboard